Thursday, October 12, 2006

No Substitute Teachers

I've been here for the last 73 years and have seen a lot. Most things don't bother me because I've seen it all before and have long accepted this is not Canada. Today I saw something new.

My classroom is in the computer lab at the end of the hall right next door to the fifth grade class. Chul Ung, one of the students in the class, qualified for a race in Seoul today and so his teacher Mr. Oh brought him there. This left the 18 other students in the class completely unsupervised all day long. The worked their way through their math book, then made noise, watched a video, made louder noises, came to a computer class and then had their English lesson. They did all this without any teacher watching over them.

They were noisy at times but always are. They did a good job all on their own leaving me impressed. Good thing Ralph Klien is done because a substitute teacher it turns out is one educational tool that is expendable.

No comments: