Saturday, October 28, 2006

I Love Seoul

The seasons are definitely changing here. This week is the start of the period between air conditioners and floor heating. In Calgary terms it's time to wear your hoodie everyday. Last night I went to meet Heidi, Saejin and Chung Sun for dinner at Gecko's. While in the crowded subway I looked out the window and suddenly remembered why I love Seoul so much.

My favorite place to ride the subway is across the Han River. I love it because when riding Line Number 1 you come shooting out of Noryangjin Station and its closed off rail lines and suddenly are on a bridge crossing 16 lanes of traffic. As you look out, all you see are the alternating colours of car lights. Red, white, red, white. The cars are slowly moving along in a constant flow of hood to trunk.

As quickly as the lights hypnotise, you are suddenly crossing the darkness of the Han River where only a few tour boats quietly play. As calming as this is the North side of the river erupts again with its eight lanes of traffic running people home before the subway plunges into darkness again. I love being surrounded by the business of a big city.

Don't get me wrong. People still annoy me but I love the sheer number of people here that attempt it.

No comments: