Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hooky

Things to best avoid when parents have been told you are supposed to be hiking on a gorgeous fall afternoon:
1..Walking downtown Gwangmyun.
2..Walking in downtown Gwangmyun with the Special Ed. teacher who is wearing a black suit, white shoes and a newspaper in the shape of cone hat covering his balding head.
3..Going into establishments only Korean Gangsters frequent.

The kids were told on Friday that they had to leave right after lunch on the following Monday because the teachers were all going on a fall hike. This sounded great to me because my Mondays after lunch have two drama classes that are horrible to teach (kids memorizing lines they can't read let alone pronounce correctly) and I love autumn.

Sadly as we pulled out into traffic on our way to the mountain, the sixth grade teacher says, "Cam po-ket-bull" and I try hard to really understand what he is saying. This was a statement and not a question so I tilt my head like a dog intrigued by something and listen closer as the sixth grade teacher and the Special Ed. teacher then talk some more about "po-ket-bull" between themselves. I finally figured it out after we made a U-turn out of the train of teacher's cars. We were headed into Gwangmyun for a game of pool.

We played for about an hour before we went out to the mountain to meet up with the others. They were sat at the bottom of the trail hanging out and laughed when they saw and heard what we did. The head teacher then motioned for me to keep it a secret from the principal and others when we met up for dinner later on. Special Ed (minus the hat) asked if I wanted to climb part of the hill and I said yes so we headed up to the nearest ridge. Here are some pictures.





No comments: