Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Glorified Infomercial

My alarm belts out its cry at 7:03 (I have a thing for odd numbers) every morning and I slam it to snooze at least two times. On good days I make it to the shower by 7:21. As I drag my body to the shower I hit the power button on the TV so that while in the shower I can have some background noise. I used to have cable in my old apartments and in Suji I would listen to BBC News (great) but in Seoul I listened to CNN International (slightly better than CNN America). Right now the only English Channel is AFN (Armed Forces Network) that play shows from America.

As it's morning they play Good Morning America (for those in the know, GMA). This show drives me insane. As far as I can tell it's a glorified informercial. It's terrible. The hosts are some of the fakest people in the world giggling, smilling and bantering about genuine piles of shit. When it is their turn to interview others every segment is just to plug a new book, movie, song, medical advancement for profit, political message for office or safety message used to scare people into buying stuff.

I do realise that I am just a cranky person in the morning but this fluff gets passed off as a newsprogram (go online it's found under the news)and it's not. There is very little difference between it and an entended commercial. I will take CNN International with it's flaws over GMA anyday.

1 comment:

Darth Gateau said...

Do people from around the globe enjoy BBC? As a Brit I always try and find BBC World Service when I travel on business (which is a lot, especially to Asia). I tune in because it's what I know and it's something familiar when a long way from home. The beeb has a reputation for good reporting but I wasn't aware it's so well regarded.