Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Teacher's Class = Holidays

Yesterday while preparing for my classes (busily reading my book) Jewel (the English supervisor at school) came in to tell me I would be starting a teachers class next week. Teachers in Korea need to attend classes to show they are still learning and English is a popular choice. This class will run for the ten consecutive Wednesdays leading up to winter vacation. The classes are three hours long and all this work is considered overtime.

I was then given what would turn out to be a one sided option of choosing a) Overtime pay or b) 4 Additional Days off for Holidays. I choose the extra money because I usually spend way too much while on holiday. Jewel accepted this and went to tell the school's accountant my decision.

After a long chat in the darkest corner of the school she came back and said it would be better if I took the extra days off. The accountant was worried that if she paid this overtime the money for my regular pay checks might run out. I pretended to be upset by this and made a fuss so that Jewel would feel guilty while in my head I worked on some calculations. With both Christmas and New Years falling on Mondays I could have a total of 16 days off at Christmas and only end up using 4 of my 14 days off.

This means I may be coming home. I will let you all know soon.

No comments: